The Twos aren’t Terrible

1. I agree that if we go into something with positive expectations, we will get positive outcomes. Even if there is a lot of negative, we will find the positive if have a positive mindset.
    I have kids are various stages and all of them have difficulties, but every new stage is fun and exciting for them and me.

2. Ruthie Gray says:

You are spot on with this! I always felt the same way. I didn’t experience these stages per say with my kids because I wasn’t looking for them. Just enjoying them as life came and trying not to put a label on any stage. And when they were teenagers – guess what – I LOVED it! It was my favorite age!!! So. much. fun.And so, as a young mama, you have already learned the secret to enjoying your children. Keep it up, I’m rootin’ for you!
    Signed – a mama with a near empty nest. 🙂

3. Amy says:

I so needed to read this. My twins are 2.5 and I feel are going through the “terrible two’s”! You opened my eyes and my thinking about this stage. I want to have this positive outlook on all the stages of their growth! Thank you!

• Carrie says:

Having twins at this age must present some unique challenges! Thanks for reading and commenting Amy, I’m so glad this ministered to you 😀

4. we have a four year old and a fifteen year old. You’re spot on saying that every age has its own challenges and positives.

5. Emma says:

Two has always been my favorite age! Everything is new and exciting to them (“It’s a bus! It’s a dog!”) and they love to learn and try new things. There are bad aspects to any age (we’re at “sassy six” now!) but to expect the 2s to be horrible is just a misconception.

6. I love what and how you said it – the twos really aren’t terrible. We, too, believe we’re raising an adult and therefore we work with him. Sometimes things are really really Really rough, but much of the time that’s not the case.
    As a 2 year old, Baby Boy can go and explore on his own. He checks in when he wants and he leaves us when he wants. He’s an attached, but growing and developmentally appropriate child. On the playground, if others happen to be there, I let him play. I even may inform another parent/care provider that it’s ok, even if their child is 10 and he’s only 2. He’s learning to navigate life and relationships and people and he’s learning just as much from them as I am watching him learn.

The twos are splendid in their own way. Hun and I can have a conversation, even with the interruptions, but we’ve learned how to navigate as parents, too! 🙂

7. I’ve also found that the “twos” weren’t terrible with either of my girls. To me, the threes were more challenging because that’s when they really start asserting their independence.
    However, they are SUPPOSED to start doing that at some point and we just have to remember to have a little patience. We want them to be independent so that they’re not still living with us at 25…LOL

Visiting from Shine Blog Hop
    xoxo
    Lisa

8. I really love this! We have a 2 1/2 year old and we are trying to embrace her new authoritative disposition…some days are better than others, but we too are looking at the bigger picture. She is becoming who she is destined to be. This is a crucial part of that journey 🙂

• Carrie says:

Doesn’t it make a difference when you look at the big picture as opposed to just the “not so good” days? Thanks for reading Erin!

9. Stasia says:

I LOVE this post. Our daughter is two right now and when people ask me how the terrible twos are going, I tell them they are not the “terrible twos”, they are the “Teachable” twos. She is like a sponge, and yes she is testing boundaries, but we are also giving boundaries to her.

10. I actually enjoy the 2s. The 3s on the other hand….but I already knew that 3 and 4 were a struggle for me from years of working in child care. Every age has its struggles…but they also have their joys. I try really hard not to be the “negative mom” to mom friends who have kids younger than mine. Just because I have a really hard time with the 3s, doesn’t mean they will. Why set them up for dread when it may not be an issue?
    (visiting from Thriving Thursday)